Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kid's Earflap Hat

Ravelry Members Download a free PDF of this pattern here: Kid's Earflap Hat

This is a QUICK, WARM kid's earflap hat. It can be made up in as little as two hours! They're great for charity work because of their warmth and the speed in which they can be made.

materials:
one skein chunky yarn (or two contrasting colors of WW yarn)
a small amount of contrasting WW yarn for edging & ties
J Hook

If using two contrasting colors of WW yarn, hold both colors together throughout

Chain 3, join into a ring.

Round 1: Chain 3 (counts as first DC here and throughout). 9 DC into ring. Join to top of beginning chain 3 (10 DC)
Round 2: Chain 3. 2 DC into each DC. Join to top of beginning chain 3 (20 DC)
Round 3: Chain 3. **DC into first DC. 2 DC into next DC.** Repeat between ** around. Join to top of beginning chain 3 (30 DC)
Round 4: Chain 3. **DC into first two DC. 2 DC into next DC.** Repeat between ** around. Join to top of beginning chain 3 (40 DC)
Round 5: Chain 3. **DC into first three DC. 2 DC into next DC.** Repeat between ** around. Join to top of beginning chain 3 (50 DC)
Rounds 6 - 10 (or until hat is approx. 6.5 - 7 inches long): Chain 3. DC into each DC. Join to top of beginning chain 3 (50 DC)

Now we're adding the earflaps -- working in ROWS.
Row 11 -- DC in 10 DC. Chain 3, turn
Row 12 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DC across till last 2 stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. Chain 3, turn. (8 DC)
Row 13 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DC across till last 2 stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. Chain 3, turn. (6 DC)
Row 14 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DC across till last 2 stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. Chain 3, turn. (4 DC)
Row 15 -- DECREASE over first two stitches. DECREASE over last 2 stitches. (2 DC) Cut yarn and bind off.

Count across 15 stitches on the body of the hat. Add second earflap, following the same directions as above.

Edging & Ties: Using contrasting color, attach to base of one earflap. SC across front of hat (15 sc). SC up the first side of one earflap, using two SC for each row of DC (12 SC). At the tip of the earflap, chain 50. Slipstitch back down the chain (tie made). SC down the other side of the earflap the same as the first side (12 SC). SC across the back of the hat (15 SC). Repeat edging and tie of second earflap, as described above. Cut yarn and bind off.

21 comments:

  1. I love this hat pattern, it was easy and quick! I added pompoms to the top and the ends of the ties, its so cute.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/9/09 11:21

    Absolutely loved this pattern, it turned out so cute! I made it for my Niece and it is just adorable on her! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    This patter looks great! I'm wondering if it might fit a 3 year old?? I'm new to crocheting and wouldn't know how to adjust it...

    cheers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this pattern and whipped it up for my 4-year-old in less than 2 hours! What a great pattern!! He loves his hat and it was so easy and cute. I made a minor adjustment - I added one more row of increasing stitches (DC in first 5 stitches, 2 DC in next stitch, repeat around) as round 6 and then for round 10 I decreased (DC in first 5 stitches, DC 2 tog, repeat around). It gave him just enough stretch at the top of his head to be comfy without the hat and flaps being way too big at the bottom! :) Worked great, thanks for the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pattern, quick and easy. I also added pom poms, turned out really cute. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great looking pattern and I would like to make it for my son who's just over 1 yr old. Can anyone tell me what the circumference of the hat is? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous,
    To make it smaller tkae out round six. (You will have nine rounds total.)If you leave it like it is, it be will huge on him. Leave the earflaps the same. The circumference if you take out round 6 is 21". However if he has a small head, you will need to take out round five as well and ad another round of 6 at the end. (9 rounds total) Hope this helps!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany,
    This is a great pattern! It works up so fast, and is the best hat pattern I have ever made. I have made lots of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can see pictures of the hats I have made on my blog.

    http://forhisgloryhandiwork.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-grandpas-hats.html

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adapted this pattern to make a bear hat. It was such a great pattern to work with. I posted the adapted pattern on my blog:

    http://armyofowls.blogspot.com/2010/04/beary-adorable.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the hat pattern. It's working up beautifully. It's for my grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7/10/10 09:00

    Hi, I have a question about the pattern. When I am joining the two rounds together, it is making a small gap. How do I do the stiches so it doesnt make the gap?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. heelo..how r u ?
    i am not from your city
    but i love your working
    i make more works by crocheh i wiil show u later

    thanks alot...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a quick project! I loved how mine turned out for my nephew... http://dannyandginapalmer.blogspot.com/2010/12/lukes-earflaps.html
    Thanks for the free pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SUCH a CUTE hat!!! I just made one for my daughter!!! I put a pom pom on the top of it!!
    Thanks for the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have seen a couple of PEs for Loul Deng such as Nike Huarache and nike running shoes 90 Lot. This time it's coming up with a Nike Running Shoes Hyped PE for the player. Although Air Max Hyped is not as popular as Hyperdunk ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this! I made one of these with two threads of medium ww yarn in aqua blue and white for my nephew. And I put a pompom on top... it was super easy to make and is very adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI there, how can I adjust this hat to make it fit an adult? I've been looking for a great crochet hat with ear flap pattern, and this one's perfect! The circumference of my head is 23 inches, and I'd really love to adapt this to make it fit me. I hope you can help me with an updated 'adult' version of this. :) Thanks!
    Can you please respond to this comment at shop@curiouslittlebird.com ?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the warm children's hat and earflap patterns. It is so kind of you to offer them for free. Many good things will come to you for your generosity!

    I wanted to crochet some very warm hats for the children on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and the double strands will be great for all the half skeins I have lying around.

    Super patterns! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will this work just as well with just one strand of med. yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was wondering, also, if one strand of WW would work, using an H hook, instead of the J hook?

    ReplyDelete